Thursday, January 15, 2009

Update

After writing about the Azalea Trail Maid's controversy I thought I should see if they will be marching in the Inaugaration Day Parade or not. I found an article by the Mobile Press Register which first explained that the group is made up of 50 high school seniors who are chosen to be Trail Maids. It's not my cup of tea but I have known young women like these who will have been dreaming of being a Trial Maid since they were little girls. So this makes the controversy that much worse than if it had been a group of middle aged women.

But Alabama NAACP leader Edward Vaughn was not backing down from his earlier criticisms of the Trail Maids and was quoted in the Mobile Press Register as stating:

Vaughn said Monday that he stands by his comments. "I don't know what I would apologize for," Vaughn said. "I'm not going to apologize for saying truth. That is that the Azalea Trail Maids invoke an image of slavery."

He certainly had a change of heart over the next two days because I next found an article on the WSFA12 News website which stated that:

On Wednesday Vaughn apologized for saying the group would make Alabama a "laughing-stock" and said he never suggested excluding the group from the parade.

Well, that is one for the good guys, or girls as the case may be. And not only are they marching but to make sure the young women get to DC I further read that the county is giving the group $10,000 to help pay for their expenses. So there! You just don't mess with our Southern Belles!

No comments:

Post a Comment