Saturday, March 14, 2009

Beck and Call

The President recently started a war of words with Rush Limbaugh in which the liberals quickly jumped on Rush, too. Now Limbaugh is a big man in the GOP (pun intended) but I think the far left would be better served to stop another man – Glenn Beck. In the long run Glenn just might be more of a threat to the far left than anyone else in the Republican Party.

Although a professed libertarian, Beck’s ideology is pretty much in step with conservatives. For years he had a radio show plus a half hour show on CNN where he was one of the token conservatives. This year he moved from CNN to Fox where he easily fit in. In his first few months with Fox the ratings for his hour long show at 5pm EDT has been a huge hit with ever increasing viewership. Then a few weeks ago he hit on an idea or more like a philosophy to help people cope with the world today. And if you haven’t heard about it yet, you will. For this is literally sweeping the nation and growing by leaps and bounds.

Glenn Beck’s concept is succinctly outlined in the name: You Are Not Alone. No, this isn’t about ET but rather for the millions of people who feel unwelcome in today’s society, who feel that our government does not reflect who they are and that if you believe the media, no one shares their values anymore. In other words, Beck is filling the huge void in the GOP by helping the rank and file feel empowered.

The basis behind You Are Not Alone are Beck’s Nine Principles:

1. America is good.
2. I believe in God and He is the Center of my Life
3. I must always try to be a more honest person than I was yesterday.
4. The family is sacred. My spouse and I are the ultimate authority, not the government.
5. If you break the law you pay the penalty. Justice is blind and no one is above it.
6. I have a right to life, libery and the pursuit of happiness but there is no guarantee of equal results.
7. I work hard for what I have and I will share it with who I want to. Government cannot force me to be charitable.
8. It is not un-American for me to disagree with authority or to share my personal opinion.
9. The government works for me. I do not answer to them, they answer to me.

And his Twelve Values: Honesty, Reverence, Hope, Thrift, Humility, Charity, Sincerity, Moderation, Hard Work, Courage, Personal Responsibility, Gratitude.

Yesterday Beck kicked off what he called his 9.12 Project. This partly stands for his nine principles and 12 values. But it also symbolizes how most of the country reacted on the day after 9-11. As he put it, on 9-10 our heads were in the sand, on 9-11 we were scared and angry but on 9-12 people reacted as Americans always have by rising to the occasion and reaching out to help each other. Beck wants us to return to that kind of commitment based on the above values and principles. Anyone, regardless of race, religion or politics can be a part of this if they believe in seven of the nine principles.

Beck wanted this kickoff and the entire movement, in fact, to be a grassroots effort. So he asked his listeners to do a couple of things. First they could send in a picture of themselves. Unbeknownst to them, his show took some of the pictures and patched them together to make the picture on the right and found on: http://www.glennbeck.com/content/program/we-the-people.

Then he asked his audience to gather together to watch Beck’s show on Friday when he kicked off his movement. Oh my. I was completely in awe by the response. I don’t know the exact number but well over a hundred meetings were held throughout the country. Heck, there were easily five or six gatherings just in Central Florida. And I am sure Tampa wasn’t the only area where they were overwhelmed with over 1000 people wanting to attend so they had to find second and third sites to watch Beck’s show.

Glenn Beck has definitely tapped into the heart and soul of the American people with his principles and values. He not only is igniting the conservative base but he is also starting to draw fire from the far left and the media (yes some will say they are the same thing). They are still at the name calling stage but if Beck continues to attract more and more people than the media will get harsher.

This movement might fizzle out as swiftly as it was ignited. I hope not for it could become the next religious right or silent majority. A powerful group of citizens who could change America for the good by voting in men and women who believe and live these principles and value.

No comments:

Post a Comment