Thursday, November 19, 2009

Follow Up

A few weeks ago I wrote the following blog about the loss of childhood freedomsz during what had been a relatively slow week. Then something happened which caught my attention so I tucked this article away for this week when I knew I would be busy preparing for Thanksgiving next week.

Imagine my surprise when after publishing my reminisces of childhood freedoms I found the following article on www.Time.com Can These Parents Be Saved about overly protective parents! So if you want to read more, and I do mean more as Tme devotes four pages on line to this topic then check out this Times article. However, after page after page of hand wringing over helicopter parents the Time article concludes pretty much with what I started out with:

If you embrace this rather humbling reality, it will be easier to follow the advice D.H. Lawrence offered back in 1918: "How to begin to educate a child. First rule: leave him alone. Second rule: leave him alone. Third rule: leave him alone. That is the whole beginning."
Of course, that was easy for him to say. He had no kids.


And I suppose I should also disclose that I don't have kids either. But I was one....

No comments:

Post a Comment